Sunday, March 16, 2008

Must Have Cardigan - WIP


I started this cardigan about March 1, even though I've had the pattern for a long time. The pattern immediately appealed to me because of the v-neck. One of the problems I have knitting cardigans is that the neck opening is too big. Conversely, the biggest problem I have knitting pullovers is that the neck opening is too small - go figure. The v-neck resolves this problem for both kinds of sweaters.

I'm using Green Mountain Double Twist in mulberry - kind of a reddish purple. I don't think Green Mountain is making Double Twist any more. I do hope they have kept the mulberry colorway - it's gorgeous!

Since I don't like to follow directions, I haven't made an exception in knitting this great design from Paton's. I have knit the body in one piece, instead of three, grafting the shoulders together. I am currently on sleeve one and instead of knitting it back and forth, I'm knitting the sleeve on circulars until I get to the cap. I love to knit, but hate to finish; so I go through all kinds of contortions to avoid any sort of piecing together. I will have to set in the sleeves in this one, but I'll sacrifice because of the great design.

One of the reasons I started knitting sweaters is because I could not find clothes that I liked in a small size. In fact, I recently made another cardigan and even though I sized it down, it just didn't look as good as the photo, sized down. I don't think I'm going to have that problem with the Must Have Cardigan. Since the body is pretty well complete, I have tried it on and it fits great!

No comments: