Sunday, June 29, 2008

Two Socks/One Circ!

As I think I've written earlier, I decided this year to take my knitting up a notch and explore some new techniques. I've tackled knitting one sock on two circulars and really enjoy that method, so my next step (no pun intended) was to try two socks on one circular. I used Melissa Morgan Oakes 2-at-a-time Socks book and really appreciated the clear photos. I'm not done yet, but I'm close.

The first thing that disappointed me was the time it took to get to the heel flap. Then, I remembered I was knitting two socks at the same time, not one. Now, it seems as though it's going faster. I really like this method too.

My only complaint with DPNs is that if I'm knitting in public, they tend to escape. My most embarrassing escape was in a town meeting situation that was held in a theater. I like to sit in the back, so I don't disturb anyone. But this night, at a quiet moment in the meeting, one of my DPNs escaped and I could hear it roll down to the front of the theater. A couple other people heard too and turned back to look at me. I tried to look as innocent as possible. I retrieved it at the end of the meeting and of course, an acquaintance said, "Lose a needle?" I don't think that will happen with either of the circular methods.

1 comment:

Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...

I like that the circular keeps the work contained with no run-away needles. In a concert hall once I was turning a heel with dpn (this was before the lightning bolt struck me and I wrote the book) and a needle slid out and rolled away. I was stuck, in the dark, clutching a heel half turned and groping for a needle. That doesn't happen any more!