Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Mystery of the Missing Sock

I'm always a little sad when there is one lone sock after I fold the clothes. I'm usually confident that eventually the dryer will cough up it's mate. At least that's the case when it's a commerically-made sock, not one of my handknit ones. I got home from an overnighter on Friday of last week. I dumped the plastic hotel bag of laundry in the laundry basket without even opening it. My spouse is really great about doing the laundry - he even air dries my superwash wool socks, rather than putting them through the dryer! I had nothing to worry about - or so I thought.

Saturday night I went to put some of the laundry away (he doesn't do everything - but I'm not complaining) and there was ONE LONE HANDKNIT SOCK on the table, just one. I panicked. It was from one of my favorite pairs. I looked in the dryer. I re-folded clothes, thinking it stuck to something else. I looked in the pack where I had the laundry bag. I looked in the space between the dryer and the washer - just in case it stuck to something and was erroneously dried. I looked everywhere - no sock. I even had a little trouble going to sleep that night. During all of this my spouse was blissfully sleeping, content in the knowledge all was well in his domain.

Sunday, I couldn't think of a way to address the missing sock without it sounding like an accusation - after all, I really appreciate the fact he does the laundry and I don't want to take that job back. Every so often, I would peek in the laundry room to see if the missing sock returned, it hadn't.

Just before bed, I went down to bring up more laundry - both socks were neatly placed together. Long story, short - I still don't know where the sock went, but it's back, washed and neatly placed in the sock basket.

No comments: