Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Frost Warning



The weather report this morning included a frost warning for tonight. Given how cool our summer was here, some of my glads are just now starting to bloom, while many of my black-eyed Susans are almost finished. I went out first thing and photographed my favorites, just in case we run out of sheets to cover everything up this evening.

Last fall I bought a multi-pack of different kinds and colors of glads. There must have been 100 bulbs because I was starting to consider digging up the back lawn to accomodate all of bulbs. Fortunately for me, I didn't have to (after all he went through to put in the lawn, I'm not sure what my spouse would have done had I dug it up!) I have them sorted (sorta) by color and these in the photograph are on the pink mound that is shared with a pine tree and a cedar tree. Whenever I see glads I think of my maternal grandmother, who had rows of glads in her garden - there were always plenty for bouquets.

Since I am a black-eyed Susan, I'm more than a little partial to those flowers. This year I have three different kinds in the garden. The one I have photographed below was a gift from one of our neighbors who didn't have room for it in her garden and she was afraid it wouldn't survive the winter in its pot. I am always ready to provide a home for black-eyed Susans and promised to give these a good home.

No comments: