Sunday, October 5, 2008

Two New Friends


Here are two of my new friends. They have many of the qualities for which I strive: They're attractive, lightweight, hardworking and well-balanced. The spindle with the folk art is from Maine Woods Yarn and Fiber who use the name "mainewoods0418" on eBay. The other is a walnut hand spindle from Aubeline's Spindidley who use the name "spindidley" on eBay. I have other hand spindles, but these two are my new favorites. Incidentally, as much as I'd like to, I can't take credit for the fiber - that too is from Maine Woods Yarn and Fiber.


I had a horrible experience on eBay this spring and so I haven't used it much since. Now, when I do, I am very cautious about the people and shops I do business with. The sources for my two new friends really went "above and beyond" to restore my faith in eBay. For example, the post office delivered the walnut spindle in a water soaked package into my post office box - at least I hope it was water. Anyway, the finish appeared ruined. This spindle is so well-balanced, even though Spindidley offered a refund or a replacement, I really wanted this spindle and just wanted to know how to make the finish look as great as it did when it left their hands. They were happy to comply and now it looks great!


I'm really looking to start making my own spindles at some point and I only hope I can do as well as these.

No comments: