Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Color Choice & The Rescue Chair

Last fall, I found a chair for $15 at an antique store. It was in rough shape. After working on it for hours, I've come to the realization that I'll never get it down to the bare wood to stain it. So, after a little more sanding, I'm going to paint it. Here's where I need help. What color? The chair is pictured here. It's for spinning. So, I may be taking it with me to retreats. I tend to lean towards the original eight colors in the crayon box. I went to Ace today and looked at glossy enamel. I liked the black, the white, the International red (bright red to those of you who are not in to large machinery) and school bus yellow. All of those colors would also work in my house. Please leave a comment below with the color you think would be best. Thanks!

OFF THE WHEEL: Earlier this month I purchased eight ounces of CJKopec Creations corriedale batts for the April spin-along on her site on Ravelry. Unfortunately, the photo doesn't do the color justice. The batts were a luscious blend of purple, lavender, black and everything in between. I ended up with 660 yards of 2-ply sport weight. While I cursed the corriedale the fleece came from the whole time I was spinning, it come out to be as rich a yarn as the batt it came from.
OFF THE NEEDLES: I finished the Veil of Leaves socks from Cat Bordhi's book I talked about last time. I loved the stitch pattern and the fact I had to size the pattern down was not much of problem. I don't think I'll use this particular sock architecture again as I felt it is a little baggier around the ankles than I like. This sock has increases for the ankle and instep, but no side gussets to decrease those stitches, the decreases for the foot are handled in the heel. I'd like to try one of the other, more fitted architectures from Pathways, next time.

These socks were my third pair for the month of April so I didn't list them on the Great Sock Off of 2009. I will be adding them to the Limenviolet Sock Yarn Marathon. These, like most of my socks, took 288 yards. This brings my total mileage since February 1 to 2.62 miles.

ON THE NEEDLES: I have a stealth sweater on one long circular needle and a pair of socks on another. The socks are test knitting for another designer, so I'll wait to get her permission before posting them.

52 BOOKS IN 52 WEEKS: I've been traveling quite a bit this week so both my entries are audiobooks. (While I'd like to be able to knit and read - I just have never had a desire to drive and read at the same time. Maybe, it's because I've never seen anyone do it successfully.)

BOOK 20: The Ya-Yas in Bloom, by Rebecca Wells. This is a sequel to the first Ya-Ya Sisterhood Book and gives the reader/listener a little more insight in to the women who make up the Ya-Yas and their children and the others in the community. Very enjoyable.

BOOK 21: The Fallen Man, by Tony Hillerman. Another great story. This time a missing person from eleven years earlier is found and unravels a web of deceit that goes back generations.

2 comments:

WhimsybyMari said...

RED

Leslie said...

I'd go with the white. (1) it's a light color now so any chips might not show as much (2) you can decorate it with any color cushion (3) you can also stencil it.

The other suggestion?? How about one leg of each color, seat top one color, seat bottom a second, back a third and back front a forth? The rungs and slats would be in stripes or spirals. You have to admit - it would be eyecatching :)