Sunday, November 15, 2009

52 Books in 52 Weeks Update

I've been having some problems uploading photos to blogger tonight, so I went in through a back door for the sock photos. I apologize for the change in format. I hope I figure out the problem before my next post.

Since I finished two more books this week one excellent/one not so good, I wanted to post anyway.

The first book I finished was Murder List by Julie Garwood. This is book 47 for the year and a real disappointment. Fortunately, I got this book for free on a special from e-books or I would be angry I wasted money on it. I understand this author usually writes romances, which are not my cup of tea. It may be that influence on the plot of this book that made it just about unbearable for me, but I "gotter done". The plot revolves around a wealthy, good-looking young woman who makes out a list of people she'd like to see murdered, she loses the list and guess what happens. Of course, she gets the man of her dreams at the end and a lot of people she doesn't like get eliminated from the face of earth. This plot just hit me wrong on so many levels.

But the second book I finished was probably one of the best books I have ever read. Book No. 48 is The Thirteenth Story by Diane Setterfield. There is a thread of Jane Eyre and the theme of being an outsider which runs through this story. So if you love the Brontes as much as I do, you'll love picking this thread up, losing it, and picking it up again. The story is set in modern day Yorkshire, but tells a tale of twins which covers a good part of the 20th century. It is fascinating to the point I felt guilty if I didn't have time to read some every day. This book called out to me like a good friend to open it up and sit down with a cup of coffee and spend some time catching up. The marvelous thing about this book is that the author leaves no loose threads at the end. One leaves The Thirteenth Story knowing what happens to every character, however minor, with the exception on the storyteller's mother, which is telling in and of itself. I highly recommend this book. I usually take every fiction book I read to the used book store to trade - but not this one. It's a keeper. I'm going to visit again.

1 comment:

aisling miri said...

omg i need to find time to actually read! you motivate me to find more hours in the day!