Monday, February 22, 2010

Monogamous - Again!

Some time ago, I wrote about the virtues of monogamous knitting. (At this point, my family members can now take a breath. Admit it, you had a fleeting thought this might contain some great revelation you didn't know about me. I can only shake my head.) Since that time, I've had a heck of time living up to one project at a time. I just want you all to know, I'm back on track.

Off the Needles: I finished the Celtic Knot sweater in the palest of pink wool from Elann.com. Was not as thri
lled with the yarn as I thought I would be, but loved the pattern, love the fit and will probably make it out a something a little less smooth. Lana Pura is a very smooth wool and every stitch shows, so something that is primarily stockinette stitch is probably not the best use of this yarn, unless you are a super even knitter. I'm thinking handspun for the next one - stay tuned.

I also finished Pair No. 36 in the 52 Pair Plunge III. They're a plain vanilla version using Nashua Yarns, Best Foot Forward. This is a great base yarn with the crazy color combinations of Kristin Nichols. These have calf scours green in them and I still love them. One of the reasons I picked up this year was it's affordability - a top-notch sock yarn for less than $15 for a 2-pair skein (100 grams).

On the Needles: While I await the next clue for Evenstar (I was sure those clues came out weekly.), I have started a toe up/2-at-a-time pair of socks from a sock flat. Since I just started this pair, I haven't decided what kind of stitch I'll be using.

Books: Please feel free to check book list at Goodreads.com (just click the Goodreads box in the column). I finished two books this week. The Whiskey Rebellion, by William Hoaglund. Usually the Whiskey Rebellion gets a line or two in the history books, maybe a paragraph; but this is an in depth account of the uprising in western Pennsylvania during George Washington's administration. A little slow at times, but well worth the time to read it.

In my quest to find additional series, I tried one of the Vicky Bliss books by Elizabeth Peters, Laughter of Dead Kings. I may have enjoyed it more, had I read it, rather than listened to the audio version. It has a great plot and wonderful characters, but I was a little distracted by the female narrator's male character voices and dialects. I enjoyed how she played the Vicky Bliss character and the minor other female characters, but the audio version would have been enhanced by a male playing the male characters.

No comments: