Sunday, March 29, 2009

Dimetapp Sweater

I haven't posted much lately because I've been working diligently on this fingering/sock-weight sweater. I think the actual colorway is called Elderberry in the Wildefoot Luxury sock yarn, but I've re-named it Dimetapp. I think you spill Dimetapp on this and not have it show! Most of the sweater is made from re-cycled yarn as I made a sweater out this a couple years ago, but was not happy with how it turned out. As a result, I just didn't wear it. I still had a couple cones of it left so as I've run out of yarn I supplemented with the coned yarn. I purchased the yarn as seconds so there are some sections that are pretty thin. I may need to in after and reinforce them. Even so, with the change in design from the other one, I think I'll wear this much more than the earlier one.

Also, it's going to take over a mile of sock yarn for the Limenviolet Sock Yarn Marathon on Ravelry!

52 Books in 52 Weeks - Book 16: When the Astors Owned New York, by Justin Kaplan. I usually read a lot more non-fiction than I have this year. The advantage for fiction for me is that I can read it faster. Even so, I felt the need to turn back to non-fiction, at least for one book, and this one was no disappointment. I know very little about New York society in part because I never really cared. I live out in the middle of the Great Plains and the thought of regularly dressing up instead of wearing blue jeans makes me cringe. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I'd heard of all the fancy hotels in New York at the turn of the 20th century, but never realized how luxurious they really were or why they were that way. Very interesting read.

Book 17: The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers, by Lilian Jackson Braun. This was a recorded book read by George Guidall, one of my favorite readers. I'd read this entry in the The Cat Who series shortly after it came out a few years ago, but actually thought it was an earlier one in the series. I recently looked it up and found that it's the last that Braun has written. Given her age, one wonders if it is truly the last. As there are some catastrophic changes in Qwill's life in this one, so it seems to provide a turning so that someone else could take over the series and further develop some of the newer characters.

No comments: