Saturday, March 21, 2009

Monkey Socks

Ever since I joined Ravelry, I have heard about raves about Monkey Socks by Cookie A. (free pattern available through Knitty.com, Winter 06). Without a photograph, I thought of sock monkeys and could not understand what the big deal was. Now, I understand. This is a wonderful pattern that knits up quickly into a pair of socks that look like they should have taken a year instead of a week. The pattern is easy to remember; but unfortunately for me, knits up a bit wider than I like. The only problem I've found with Cookie A. patterns is that the pattern repeats so far have been for a large number of stitches so I can't eliminate one repeat. I really should have used smaller needles as I did with her Pomatamus socks. I also used Essential sock yarn from Knit Picks, as I am still burning through stash for the Limenviolet Sock Yarn Marathon. (These socks took 310 yards which brings me to 2395 yards or 1.4 miles). The next pair of Monkeys will be with smaller needles and a sock yarn with a bit more color.

52 Books in 52 Weeks/Book 15: The Postman Always Rings Twice, by James M. Cain. This audio book was read by Stanley Tucci. Before there was film noir, there was roman noir and The Postman Always Rings Twice was one of the first, and in my mind, one of the best. I've seen the film and remake and the book beats both.

No comments: