Sunday, July 5, 2009

Technical Difficulties

This week does not have an entry to 52 Books in 52 Weeks due to technical difficulties. I thought I finished Widow for One Year, by John Irving, but as I got down to the final minutes of the audible.com recording, I quickly realized the there were a number of issues that were unresolved. I've read enough John Irving, like just about everything he's written, to know that he just does not leave folks hanging for an eternity. Then I heard it: "End of Part 1." But that's all that was on my iPod! Fortunately, Audible.com, like Amazon.com and eBooks, keeps my library for me. I'd forgotten to download Parts 2 and 3. So stay turned - it's a great book. John Irving can set a scene like nobody else. I can picture everything - it's better than a movie!

So onto my upper midwestern listing of what I've accomplished this week!

Tour de Fleece: In conjunction with the Tour de France, Ravelry has a Tour de Fleece for spinners (the kind with one wheel and a treadle, not two). I joined the Spin Our Socks group and started spinning the Embers fleece. On the bobbin is what I accomplished after Day 1. I think the goal of the group is to spin 3-ply sock yarn, however, I may have to be happy with a 2-ply. We'll see if I have enough fleece for a 3-ply.

Off the Needles: Pair #7 of the 52 Pair Plunge III is another pair of mini-socks. These little socks are great for working out patterns.

On the Needles: For Pair #8 of the 52 Pair Plunge III, as well as the July pair for the Great Sock Off, and my stress-free pair for Summer of Socks, I started the Knaughty & Knice socks for Interweave Fall 2008. It's a fun pattern, but is a little slower going than the patterns that got me to seven pairs in one month-but maybe slowing down a bit is a good thing. I have some more ideas for mini-socks to catch up.

I also started playing around with the Knit One Below method from the book of the same name by Elise Duvekot. It's been a challenge for me to follow the excellent directions provided in the book. When it comes to knitting, I tend to assume I know how it goes. I'm usually quickly humbled, as I was this time. It's a super-easy technique, if you follow the instructions. I'm working on a bag using the technique, in Green Mountain Spinnery two-ply black worsted and Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride in teal. The Lamb's Pride is a second, because it's not colorfast (although my fingers aren't turning teal), so I wanted to use it with something that wouldn't show if it did bleed.

On the Hook: I'm not much of a crocheter, but I do still have a lot of scraps of washable sock yarn. I'm doing this modified granny square in hopes of using some of the scraps. Actually, I'm hoping to use all of them. My sock yarn stash is significantly reduced because of the Sock Yarn Marathon I've been working on since February 1, but I want it reduced more! Hopefully, this will help.

Last of All: I was totally surprised and extremely pleased with the shout-out my Etsy shop, Sheepish Hand Knits, received on the Daily Chum on Friday. I recently started a new line of sock yarn called "Big Foot" and as a result of the Daily Chum piece, I've been busily packing and dyeing up more yarn this weekend. You can see the the piece here:
http://www.limenviolet.com/blog/?p=6731 IdaW, Limenviolet and all the Daily Chum folks - thank you!

No comments: