Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Is It Summer Yet?








Usually in South Dakota we have many more hot days in July than we've had this year. In fact, more days than not, we've bundled up in the morning to take our daily bike ride. There's only been a few days I've been able to wear shorts. Even so, the flowers seem to enjoy the cooler weather and our lily trees (l) and Oriental Lily (r) had extraordinary flowers this year.

Waterfall socks
Originally uploaded by bruggerknits



On the Needles: I enjoyed making WendyKnits' Waterfall Socks so much last week, I started a second pair on Sunday. It's so much fun tonight, Tuesday, I already turned the heels on both socks. This will be Pair #13 in the 52 Pair Plunge III on Ravelry.

Off the Needles: Pair #11 in the 52 Pair Plunge III was my first pair of Waterfall Socks. I made these in Mini Mochi which is probably a nice yarn for everything except socks. It's a loosely spun one-ply yarn. I am very concerned about these socks felting from wear. Of additional concern is that I purchased two balls of the same dye lot and the colors were wound on the balls in opposite directions. Had I known, I could have started one sock from the end of one ball and the second sock from the inside of the other and I would have been fine! I do like identical socks, but these ended up as being slightly different. I do start and end on the same color though!

Pair #12 was another pair of baby socks made out of the Debra Norville sock yarn.

On/Off the Spindle: I've decided that next year I am going to do my level-headed best to avoid challenges and knit-a-longs, particularly on Ravelry. Why? Because I am very disappointed in myself because I didn't finish my goal in Tour de Fleece. I am competitive by nature and I know, it was supposed to be a fun thing . . . Anyway, next year is going to be the year to relax and enjoy it. Someone may need to remind me.

52 Books in 52 Weeks/Book 33: Santa Clawed, by Rita Mae Brown & Sneaky Pie Brown. I always enjoy reading about Christmas in July. I used think it was a heat thing, but it couldn't be that this year, so it must be a fun thing. Also, Mrs. Murphy Mysteries are probably my favorite and this one did not disappoint! This one involved the murders of monks, plus one - very good ending!

No comments: