Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I found a new knitting mystery series!

I've been reading Maggie Sefton's series for a few months now - unfortunately, jumping around enough that I'm a little confused as to chronological order of events. Recently i discovered another knitting mystery series, this one by Mary Kruger. I wasn't blown away by the first in the series, Died in the Wool. There were a couple of things that I felt were technical errors and unfortunately, it bothered me. I really liked the characters though, so I read the second in the series, Knit Fast, Die Young. I am so glad I did!

The main character in the series (and the unintentional sleuth) is Ari Evans, who is a divorced mother of a school-aged daughter. She owns a yarn shop in a northeastern state and has a widowed mother, a well-intentioned aunt, a close friend who is a spinner, a grumpy ex-husband and a potential love interest, who happens to be a detective with the local police department. Ari comes across dead and dying people in very unlikely places and circumstances, who die in very unconventional and contrived ways and means. But it doesn't matter! It's still fun, fast-paced reading!

This time, a publisher of knitting magazine, who is known to be very critical of just about everyone, dies in Ari's arms with a knitting needle stuck in her back at a small wool festival in the New England town where Ari lives. Ari had met this woman earlier when she lived in New York. The cops decide to hold everyone at the wool festival who knew the victim; personalities and tempers flash and flare, but eventually Ari flushes out the murderer.

Unless there is a category for knitting mysteries, this book isn't going to win any huge publishing awards, but for a fast-paced read and interesting characters, it's a winner.

No comments: