Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Rescue Chair


I rescued this chair this afternoon. Okay, I really didn't "rescue" it in the true sense of the word. But it has been severely abused and neglected. It's solid wood and probably the sturdiest chair I've ever encountered. I'm not sure yet what kind of wood it is because it has so many coats of paint on it. It appears that in addition to its original dark stain, it's been red, gray, off white and it's current coat of white enamel. It's going to be a challenge, but given it's strengths, I think it will be well worth.
It's biggest positive (which is almost oxymoronic - if that's a word) is it's size - it's small, so it fits me perfectly. Not that I'm a little person, but let's just say I'm small for my age. Because of it's smaller size, it is very comfortable and will be great for spinning. The best height for spinning on an Ashford wheel (of which I have two), is 17 inches. This one, once I get the paint off the seat will be 16-1/2 to 16-3/4 inches high. It appears the seat is contoured, as is the back; but again, given the layers of paint it's a little difficult to tell.
I'm not sure of the period of furniture or when or where it was built, but given the color of the stain, I'm guessing it's from the early part of the 20th century.

No comments: