Saturday, February 14, 2009

I Can Haz Wollemeise!

For months, I have been trying to snag a skein of Wollemeise sock yarn. Sometimes, I've missed by seconds. This time, my timing was right on the money! I got this skein because someone on the message boards on Plurk was de-stashing. (Thank you yarnbeans!) It's in the colorway Vincent and has mustard yellow, avacado and blue green and various hues and tones in between. Hans is shown giving it a little sniff and both kitties are checking it out before fighting over in the second photo. Hans is more of a lover than a fighter, so he let Greta give the skein a good snuggle. I haven't posted those photos because I'd like to keep the blog at a G-rating. Suffice it to say, Greta is no longer allowed to listen to the Limenviolet podcast, because she obviously understood what they were talking about with regard to Wollemeise.

Pokey Fluff Update: I'm still carding. This week I ran into quite a bit that were second and third cuts. I was very disappointed. I tossed quite a bit that had a staple length of less than two inches. I'm still going to have quite a bit, but my initial estimate of three pounds out of a four-pound fleece was obviously high.

52 Books in 52 Weeks/Book 7: Still Life, by Louise Penny. This is the first in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series. The series was highly recommended to me by one of the members of my Thursday Morning at BagelWorks Knitting Group, Susan M. I pass that high recommendation on to you. This series takes place in a small town in Quebec. Still life refers not just to the still life painting rendered by the victim, but also those who have a still life in that life and change must come to them, rather living pro-actively to any degree. Still Life is one of the best books I've ever read and one of the most artfully crafted. Penny's use of metaphor and simile is outstanding. I understand she develops her characters over the course of the series so the books need to be read in order. I will do that and can't wait to read the the second in the series.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

I just got my first skein of Wollmeise too :-) I am knitting the Clapotis because I just didnt have the heart to make socks out of it :-) I must have more though!

mehitabel said...

No Wollmeise here, alas. However, I just started A Fatal Grace, which is also an Inspector Gamache novel. My trip to the bookstore last night netted me two Louise Penny books! I don't have Still Life, though...must go check amazon.com for it!

Karen B said...

I got two skeins of Wollmeise back before it was scarcer than hens teeth. Holding on to them with dear life.

Anne said...

Being a knitting virgin, I have no idea what woolemeise is, but, I found your story quite amusing, and I'm glad that I have the limeandviolet website bookmarked so that I can catch the podcast!

~Anne
http://liberteas.blogspot.com