Sunday, February 15, 2009

Misti Alpaca Sweater

A few weeks ago, I started a sweater with my Misti Alpaca sock yarn. Today I got to the point where the sleeves attach to the body. It's my favorite place to be on a sweater, because now the end is in sight. It's also an easy inch of knitting and gives me an opportunity to think through the upcoming decreases for the body and sleeve. There is a seven-repeat cable pattern that makes up the rib of the bottom and cuff with a simple lace pattern for the rest of the sweater. i hope to have this completed by the time I leave for Stitches West.

52 Books in 52 Weeks/Book 8: Fortunately, audio or recorded books are included in the count. This is fortunate in that I do a substantial amount of knitting and driving (not at the same time) in a given week, so I listen to audio or recorded books out of a need for "white noise." Even though it is background noise to some extent, I need for the book to make sense to me. It's no problem when I read, because I can flip back if I have a question, not so with a recorded book - at least not easily. I ran into that problem with Book 8: A Plague of Doves, by Louise Erdrich. I think I've read everything Erdrich has written and this is probably her most monumental undertaking. The stories and how they are interwoven into one is fascinating - but that's where I needed to be able to flip back. By the end, I think I got everything straightened out in my head, but I really need to go back at the end of the challenge and read the book for myself, because I'm sure I've missed something important. So, A Plague of Doves is a highly recommended read, rather than a listen.

No comments: