Tuesday, January 6, 2009

12 3/4 Miles of Sock Yarn



I recently signed up for the LimenViolet Sock Marathon on Ravelry. Part of the marathon is to determine how many miles of sock yarn you have. Sock (aka fingering weight) yarn is my favorite weight of yarn to knit, so I knew going in I would have more of that in my stash than any other kind. I guessed maybe 5 miles worth of which I would try to knit up 3 in the approximately 6 months we have for the marathon. I was wrong. It came to 12-3/4 miles of sock yarn. Now that I've picked myself up off the floor and am trying to breathe normally and simply deal with the situation, I realize that knitting 3 miles in the given time is reasonable and I can only hope to knit more. I'd really like to be able to put the lid on the bin the yarn is sitting in now. I think that means more like 6 miles worth - but we'll see.

I did find some real treasures as I was getting all the sock yarn in one place - like five skeins of Lorna's Laces. I have no idea where I got it - it's in pink and blue, so I can only imagine someone gave it to me. Fortunately, the marathon does not require that you make all the sock yarn into socks - you can make others things as well. I also found out that four pairs of socks equal approximately a mile, as does a sweater. This should be interesting.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Whew! I'm too scared to even look at mine. Good luck with the marathon!

Anonymous said...

gosh........ too scared to even try and figure it out.