Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pomatomus Part Deux


Here is the first completed Pomatomus sock. I've started the second - no second sock syndrome here. But I'm going slow because I want most of this skein to count towards the sock yarn marathon. I couldn't find coral reinforcing thread, so I used a natural color on the toes. After this much work on a sock, I'd hate to wear through the toes - ever.


52 Books in 52 Weeks: Book 5 is Unholy Dying, by Robert Barnard. I thoroughly enjoyed this British mystery from 2001. In many respects it's a typical British mystery in the Agatha Christie vein: It's set in a smaller city (okay not a village) in Yorkshire and the character most of us would find to be the most despicable is bumped off with a host of suspects with motives, the most likely of which is a Catholic priest who has been accused by the newspaper reporter/victim of having an affair with a young woman in his parish. Barnard has a pair of detectives that are worthy of their own BBC television series that wrap this mystery up into a neat little package right before the reader's eyes. Good characterization and excellent plot make what could have been a boring read into a page turner. Barnard has been writing mysteries as long as I can remember and only gets better.

No comments: